How Can Chiropractic Care Help During Pregnancy
Pregnancy has long been associated with various musculoskeletal pains including back and neck pain. If you are like most of the pregnant women out there who are wondering if there are any ways that can help you reduce or eliminate headaches, neck pain, and backache during pregnancy, this post is perfect for you.
Pregnancy can be a happy and exciting experience, but with so much joy also comes some not-so-pleasant experiences like fatigue, morning sickness or nausea, headache, neck pain, and backache. If you are like most of the pregnant women out there who are dealing with similar pregnancy issues, you might also be wondering if there are any ways that can help you minimize or eliminate their effects both on your health and your life. Read on to find out.
Back Pain and Pregnancy
Pregnancy has long been associated with various musculoskeletal pains including back and neck pain. During pregnancy, your body undergoes hormonal and weight changes which greatly affect your posture and the structure of your spine and nervous system. As your body changes, your muscles need to work harder to maintain proper posture, and more stress is put on your joints leaving them more susceptible to injury, causing you pain.
Accommodating for a growing baby will also bring your center of gravity forward causing compression of nerves and stretching of abdominal muscles. In addition, the ligaments and joints in the pelvic area loosen, to prepare for delivery of the baby, which increases the likelihood of injury and/or other pregnancy complications. All these can lead to long term poor posture, back pain, as well as misaligned spine or joints if not corrected.
How to avoid or reduce risks to back pain during pregnancy?
Certain ways are proven to help avoid or reduce risks to back pain during pregnancy. Among these are as follows:
- Get regular chiropractic adjustments to keep your spine functioning as it should to reduce back pain, neck pain, and headache.
- Do regular exercises approved by your doctor and designed for your specific needs.
- Eat a nutritiously balanced diet to fuel yourself and your baby while keeping weight gain to an appropriate amount.
- Observe good posture all the time regardless of whether you are lying down, sitting, or standing.
- Get in the water or go swimming. The water naturally relieves and minimizes stress on aching back and joints.
- Try to sleep on your side, instead of on your back.
- Get a prenatal massage. Massage is known to help relax and ease muscle discomfort and pain.
- Avoid using uncomfortable shoes or high heeled footwear that doesn’t provide enough support.
- Use a maternity belt that is strong enough to support your lower abdomen.
- When picking up things, don’t bend forward as this can strain your lower back. Do it in a squat position instead.
- Get a good amount of rest especially during the last trimester.
Chiropractic and Pregnancy
How can chiropractic care help you during pregnancy? Although the connection between chiropractic and pregnancy is often overlooked, there are many good reasons why you should consider seeing a licensed chiropractor.
A regular visit to a chiropractor can help you address various discomforts due to pregnancy. The chiropractor can help make your journey towards motherhood a more exciting and pleasant one. During the pre-conception stage, chiropractic adjustments can help prepare your body by making it balanced, supple, and strong. During pregnancy, regular chiropractic adjustments will help to ensure that the biomechanics of your spine and hips are at the optimum condition, as well as proper position of the baby, allowing you an easier and faster labor and delivery and a more pleasant and comfortable pregnancy.